Saturday, June 23, 2007

We quit at about 8:45. There were some who wanted to keep going, but a motion to extend the debate lost, so we will resume tomorrow. Nova Scotia and PEI is the diocese that will host the General Synod in 2010, so after a short presentation they invited us all to a party in the hotel, complete with some Celtic dancing. You can see our new Primate Fred Hiltz clapping, the tall man at centre left towards the back - but he danced in the middle of the circle too - and on the left Sue Moxley, his suffragan bishop, who will probably be elected the diocesan in his place when he resigns to move to Toronto. It was a good party, and several proponents and opponents of the blessing came. A very good feeling to end a somewhat tense day.

1 comment:

Bruce W said...

As an Anglican who has been worshipping in a very progressive community, I am wondering what is the Good News from the vote by the Bishops today that denied our parish the ability to bless same sex marriages? We were hopeful people during the long period while our diocese obeyed our bishop, who denied the vote by both laity and clergy in order to hear the outcome of General Synod. What follows that will allow us to minister to those who feel they have been patient far too long?
I am fearful that Bishops will continue to say no since it seems that they believe that their mission is to keep the church together ( shepherds of the flock). I worry because in my limited agricultural experience shepherds tend to be at the rear, in the dust and not always with a clear view of the road ahead. Perhaps the church needs another body: prophets, though I fear that the name and the past job security of prophets might not bring forth many applicants. We truly need some prophetic voices in the church. I don’t want unanimity but a variety of voices that would allow us to see different paths that could lead us forward.
I can not continue to call myself a progressive Christian and a Canadian Anglican too. I fear that unless I can be shown some way forward then I will need to choose a community that can embrace all who are human.
Bruce Weaver