Tuesday, June 19, 2007

As one of the last smudged, I witnessed the opening Eucharist in the Cathedral basement via television. It was a long and okay service, with Archbishop Andrew Hutchison giving his final primatorial address. He urged the delegates to be respectful of everyone. I did like the way he ended the speech: "I leave the last word to Leonard Cohen, a Canadian poet and musician.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light gets in."

In other words, the resolution of our Same Sex Blessing debate isn't going to please everyone - or maybe anyone. Accept it.
Here I'm behind Barbara and Bishop Gordon of APCI (Anglican Parishes of the Central Interior). Gordon wrote the hymn "Draw the circle wide," which is the theme of the Synod, and which we sang to close the service. It was the slowest rendition of the tune I think I've ever heard.

No comments: